As a Dallas native, I've always been aware of the lack of cultural diversity and equality. Growing up, I thought it was normal to have a city only comprise of 3 dominate ethnicities. One of which could only be found in kitchen restaurants or on a construction site. It was not until I lived in other large metropolitan cities that I became painfully aware of the cultural division and exclusion that embodies Dallas. I left Dallas upon high school graduation in 2000. I begrudgingly came back after being effected by a tough job market at the end of 2007. Seeking to find normalcy in my return, I attempted to enjoy myself and experience the social aspects that a city as large as Dallas has to offer. The more I ventured out, hoping to find my spot in the Dallas's social scene, I started to realize it all looked the same..... and none of it looked like me. Now, I've never had a problem being the "token" in the room. It starts to get uncomfortable when you are the token everywhere you go. It is quite upsetting to know that if you put the exact same establishment in cities like New York, Atlanta, Los Angeles or Chicago, the crowd would be quite diverse and eclectic. It would cater to and accommodate the many ethnicities that are represented in the city. This is unfortunately not true in Dallas. The majority of the establishments and events cater to one particular culture/lifestyle.
I try very hard to remain open minded and venture out into new social scenes. The reality is that I find I am often uncomfortable and feel unwelcome in the city. It is interesting to hear people not from Dallas have the same sentiments about the people of their own ethnicity in Dallas. I'm not sure what to call, it but it seems to rub people other than me the wrong way.
Dallas is a beautiful, affluent, clean and vibrant city. Most people think I am crazy for wanting to leave. Socially it is one sided, conservative and close minded. I've become socially reclusive and distant since my return. It is really time for me to leave.
No comments:
Post a Comment